Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Quaranta Goffredo Mameli



Pasta sauce that brings me back to "quaranta goffredo mameli," my cozy 6 person split apartment in Rome. Its funny how your taste buds can make you so nostalgic.. and that something so simple and taken for granted, like pasta sauce can send memories flooding...Eating the pasta made me think of all the meals my roommate and I would have while watching Eddie Izzard or Summer Heights High...even more so, it reminded me of this small hole in the wall restaurant where we were literally eating in someone's kitchen... 25 euro pre fixe dinner.. no english necessary, just sit and eat. Anyway, this sauce is so easy to make and for those who have not had the opportunity to visit rome.. it is EXACTLY how pasta would taste at your local osteria :) I suggest adding some guanciale-- pig cheek, or maybe just adding bacon bits if its easier.. you'll end up with a traditional pasta amatriciana!

My mom and I were at the super market and I was explaining the concept of spaghetti squash to her and she was in disbelief that the big yellow squash could yield strands of noodles, at 99cents a lb, we picked one up. After all the thanksgiving festivities and its leftovers were finished, I finally had the opportunity to fire up the stove. I decided to make the spaghetti squash with some shrimp and swai filet and served it with a healthy scoop of sauce. It was absolutely delicious, but for next time I'll be baking the squash like a lasagna  or ziti since I like the way the spaghetti squash and melted cheese tastes together. I also, made a separate portion with corkscrew pasta for my brother since he's not fond of squash...As for the sauce, it was great with seafood but, some guanciale would have made the meal molto autentico! Enjoy the recipe!

Tomato Sauce with Butter and Onions
Adapted from Marcela Hazan's Essentials of Italian Cooking
Serves 4

Ingredients:
28 ounces (800 grams) whole peeled tomatoes from can (drained)
5 tablespoons (70 grams) unsalted butter
1 medium-sized yellow onion, peeled and halved
Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
  1. Put the butter, onion and tomatoes in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. (dont worry that its dry, the butter will melt and you'll soon see plenty of liquid)
  2. Bring the sauce to a simmer then lower the heat to keep the sauce at a slow, steady simmer for about 45 minutes
  3. Stir occasionally, crushing the tomatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon. Remove from heat, discard the onion, add salt to taste. (I didn't add any salt, just some fresh cracked pepper)



No comments:

Post a Comment