Monday, July 9, 2012

Strawberry Basil Jam

My post today is inspired by my visit to POP Champagne this past weekend. I went for their bottomless mimosa brunch and was pretty much thoroughly disappointed by everything but the bellinis and mimosas...oh and the strawberry basil jam. I've been a huge fan of strawberry jam ever since my study abroad roommate/ life long sister/ college across the hall mate... Prepared a piece of toast, smothered in strawberry jam, for me one late night when we were both studying for finals.. I know.. It sounds ridiculous that I was so hooked because of that I remember that experience so vividly... But I siously had a revelation... I grew up hating bread... Peanut butter.. And jelly... So I had never had jam and toast until that night! Thanks to her, I have toast and some type of spread every morning.. Religiously.. No seriously.. I'm quite grumpy without it.
Strawberry Basil Jam
Ingredients:
1 lb fresh strawberries hulled and sliced
3/4 cup of sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla zest and juice from half lemon 
4 basil leaves rolled up like a cigar and thinly sliced
 Directions:
1. Cook strawberries and sugar in a heavy bottom pan and medium heat. Stir occasionally.
2. After strawberries begin to bubble mash the slices into little chunks. Add vanilla and lemon to the mixture. 
3. When the jam begins to cling onto the spoon/spatula and you are at your satisfied consistency, add basil. Cook for another 2 minutes and immediately transfer to a jar for cooling.
** must be consumed within 5-7 days

1 comment: