Monday, December 19, 2011

The craving I had to satisfy!!

I was in Vegas this past weekend and one of my girlfriends had french onion soup as a midnight snack.. I never actually saw the soup... But just hearing about it made me think about it this entire gloomy day! Luckily lakers were playing clippers tonight so we couldn't go out to dinner.. Which meant I would get to satisfy my craving all... Just the way I liked it! With EXTRA CHEESE!!! Mmmmm yum! I started first by looking through several allrecipe and used a combination of the French onion gratinee recipe, the French onion V recipe, some improvisation and imagination. I loved the soup a lot... And it totally hit the spot... I didn't want to risk it getting too salty.. I would advise adding a little more salt though and I've made changes to the recipe below. Also..  I decreased the amount of onions from 4 to 3 for future reference, because it was too much for my liking.

French Onion Soup

Ingredients
3 onions ( I used a combo of red and yellow)
4 tbsp butter
3 tbsp ap flour
1 tsp peppeR
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup red or white wine
1 14.5 oz can beef broth
1 32 oz carton chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp bayleaf (or one bay leaf)
1 loaf of French bread
12 slices of Swiss cheese
8 oz shredded asiago

1. Brown onions with butter in a deep non stick pot for about 15 minutes.
2. Add flour, pepper, sugar and mix into a pasty mixture.
3. Add wine and vinegar to the pot and allow it to cook for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in beef and chicken stock, parsley, salt, thyme, bayleaf and bring to a simmer.
5. Turn oven on broil and toast both sides of sliced bread.
6. Divide soup into individual portions filling bowls 2/3 of the way.
7. Top each bowl with one slice of toasted bread, two slices of Swiss cheese.
8. Cover cheese slices with 1/4 cup of asiago cheese and sprinkle parsley flakes.
9. Place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes or until cheese bubbles and browns.

No comments:

Post a Comment