Monday, December 12, 2011

Testing... 1...2...3

After a wonderful birthday weekend filled with friends family and fun I decided to give my new toys a test run! As usual I spent the entire day thinking about what I wanted to make first and tossed a couple ideas around.. and eventually settled on something safe. I was short on ingredients and the rain kept me from visiting the grocery store. However, I did have a new bottle of cream of tar tar that I had purchased last year when one of my best friends was in town. I was set on making her a batch of her favorite snickerdoodle cookies but her trip came and went too quickly.. and the tartar remained unopened.  The recipe is below and is from all recipes and is pretty similar to the one from smitten kitchen. I stuck with only butter since thats all I had.
As for the stand mixer... the same friend mentioned above asked me today.. "what exactly does it do... besides.. mix..." It is a baker's best friend... usually I make a huge mess when I bake.. which is why i prefer to do it when no one is awake.. no one to nag me about the drippings and clean up... and no one to fight for space. Anyway, point is.. it does all the grunt work.. in a clean and simplistic manner.. it uses only one bowl and all the measured ingredients go directly in. No mixing, no kneading! I'm IN LOVE! thanks guys!

Snickerdoodle Cookies 
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup white sugar
1 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/3 cups and 1 tablespoon all-purpose
flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

DIRECTIONS:
You have scaled this recipe's ingredients to yield a new amount (24). The directions below still refer to the original recipe yield (48).
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.
3. Mix the 1 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment